Saturday, January 23, 2010

Life is...

Just the other day, I celebrated the one-year anniversary of the scariest day of my life. It was the day that I came face to face with my own mortality. When the doctor said that he was afraid I wouldn’t be able to see my children grow up or my wife grow (gracefully) old…it scared me.

The days that followed were quiet yet filled with an endless parade of nurses and doctors practicing their medicine. As I lay in the hospital, I kept waiting on that moment of clarity, the voice from heaven, or maybe even a bright light. All I got was stillness and silence.

Even though no one showed up with a cheesy “Touched by an Angel” light hovering overhead…I did see an angel. My wife, who was confronted with the possibility of raising two young men without a father, was an angel. She tirelessly cared for me, questioned the doctors, and never once showed the fear that she felt inside.

Today…all of that is over a year behind me. This past year I’ve had moments of crystal clear clarity, I’ve heard from heaven, but thankfully no bright lights. What I’ve gained is clarity because…I took time to look. I heard from heaven because…wait for it…I listened.

This is what I’ve seen and learned:

Life is simple

Taking a Sabbath is not just essential…it is necessary. (a Sabbath is not the same thing as a day off, it is a refocusing of life and long date with the Father)

My family is priceless…but they are not mine.

Today is the only day I have to invest in my kids…

Living passionately for God is the only thing of real value.

Living passionately for God with my wife and kids is the only way to have ZERO regrets.

99% of the things I get cranked up about, frustrated with, or discouraged over…DON’T matter.


Life is simple!!!

Having the ideal dream job…is more hype than substance.

Friends are important…but they don’t always stick around...

Life Is Simple…it’s about passionately serving God in whatever my circumstance…doing all that I can to love and provide for my family (even working for min. wage)…taking deep breaths and enjoying the beauty around me…walking with God or enjoying a cup of coffee with Him.


Life is simple…

2 comments:

Tobias Valdez said...

Hey Bro! Glad to see the rebirth of this thing! I hope it continues for a while.

I know we've picked on each other about egos and swollen heads before, and this next statement may cause yours to get larger...BUT in all seriousness, you have always possessed wisdom beyond your years and it has been something I have been grateful to be a benefactor of.

So I look forward to hearing more from you here.

Chris Alford said...

thanks man...you've always been a great friend...sort of...ha