Friday, September 26, 2008

not homeowner improvements

This morning I was reading Luke 6 and verses 47-49 jumped out at me. I grabbed "The Message" and found these words: "These words I speak to you are not mere additions to your life, homeowner improvements to your standard of living. the are foundation words, words to build a life on."

In my own life, many times the words of Jesus can digress to being just additions to my already established life. However, you and I should constantly ask ourselves, "Are Jesus' words foundational or just additional luggage for the journey?" I think that to often his words are mere trinkets that will fill our shelves with but have little to do with the core of who we are and the destination of our journey.

Luke 6: 47-49 "Everyone who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like: 48 he is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built. 49 But the one who hears and does not do them is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the stream broke against it, immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great." (esv)

No comments: